Mum and I went shopping in Matunga (sarees, what else, he he he). Two hours into shopping, we realised we were broke - and hungry. Both purses were examined thoroughly. Coins were collected. Old worn notes were smoothed out. Yes! We did have some money - a hundred rupees in fact! So we set off to Ramanayak at Kings Circle, to try the Udupi thali.
'The owner eats here' said a large sign-board inside the shop. I grinned to myself. Ah well, if it was good enough for them...We asked for the menu. Hmm... 35 rupees for the thali. Mum and I looked at each other in relief - we could afford this.
Here's what we got for our money (anti-clockwise, starting with the glass):
- Glass of buttermilk, flavoured with ginger, coriander, green chili and salt
- Cupful of semia-kheer, noodles in sweetened milk
- Sour and Spicy Red Rasam, with tamarind and red chili powder
- Bright Yellow Udupi-gravy-thingy-with-coconut
- Light Yellow Dal seasoned with mustard, tomato and green chili
- Beans sauteed with tomatoes and red chili
- A really yummy potato dish, seasoned with cumin
- Shredded cabbage salad
- Green coconut and coriander chutney
- Mango pickle
- Piping hot puris, heaped in the centre of the plate
- Rice and yoghurt, which they brought later
The food was simple, not very spicy. The buttermilk was sensational, and of course, nothing quite satisfies the Tamil soul as much as rice and yoghurt, eaten with mango pickle. I was hungry, and polished it all off satisfactorily. And then, loaded with sarees and a full stomach, we staggered to the car, and went home to sleep it off. All in all, a good afternoon.